Hollywood Lies is set at a post-award party in modern day Hollywood. The game is filled with actors, directors, producers and other movie-types.
Hollywood Lies is published by Freeform Games and is one of their freeform-style murder mystery games. It has been designed for people who don't normally play freeforms and contains full instructions for play.
Note - Hollywood Lies and Halloween Lies are the same game. While Hollywood Lies is set at a post-Oscar style event, Halloween Lies is horror-themed and concerns only horror movies.
- Number of players: 16 to 22
- Setting: The post-award party for "Dazzled to Death", a fabulously successful modern-day movie. The star of Dazzled to Death, Tom Speed, died last night in a car crash. But was it foul play? You'll never guess…
- Time to run: 4 hours (including setup and debrief - actual game lasts for about 2.5 hours)
- Space Requirements: Large-ish room
- Author: Steve Hatherley
- Publisher: Freeform Games, price £25
Cast of Hollywood Lies
- Crystal Beech: Star of Dazzled to Death. Crystal won an Eric (Best Actress) for her role as Millicent Nimitz, the victim’s wife. This is her first major role in a movie.
- Detective Sandra Chase: One of Hollywood’s finest detectives, Detective Chase is well known to the movie community.
- Sam Cortinelli: Sam Cortinelli is one of Dazzled to Death’s stunt doubles. Sam is rumoured to have "family" connections.
- Mel Cutter: Mel is the author of “Cutter’s Comments”, a notorious newspaper column in the Hollywood News. In the column, Mel described Dazzled to Death as “limp and tired” and accused Tom Speed of “having all the presence of a fishbowl”. Mel is a regular feature at post-award parties.
- Lou Dunlin: A respected Hollywood film director. Lou was the original director for Dazzled to Death, but was replaced by Anna d’Lessey during pre-production.
- Anna d'Lessey: Dazzled to Death’s director and winner of the Best Director award.
- Brian d'Lessey: Anna's husband. Brian used to work for a movie-financing business.
- Edison Flax: Edison is one of Hollywood’s many agents. He is also Tom Speed’s agent.
- Terry Ford: Terry has experience of over 100 movies, playing character roles. In Dazzled to Death Terry played “Hatch”, a bodyguard.
- Charles Henderson-Plum: Charles played “Skipper Primley,” Dazzled to Death’s British villain.
- Max McNab: Max plays bit-parts and is struggling to get into the big time. In Dazzled to Death Max played “Cop in Elevator”.
- Jules Milton: Manager of Spangles Hotel, where the Dazzled to Death post-Eric party is being held. Six years ago, Jules caused a fire that burned down three sound stages.
- Kara Montague: Kara is a singer turned actress with a minor role (“Carmel Nightshade”) in Dazzled to Death.
- Ghana Moon: Ghana is one of Hollywood’s most successful screenwriters, and won an Eric for Dazzled to Death.
- Bernie Newman: Bernie has come to Hollywood to become a movie star.
- Jack Simpson: Jack was originally signed up to act in Dazzled to Death, but was fired before filming started after Jack and Tom Speed had a blazing row.
- Pip Slater: Pip is one of Hollywood’s many agents.
- Jim Taylor: Jim both acts and produces. He was one of Dazzled to Death’s co-producers.
- Bobby Treveeno: Bobby is an entertainer of the old school and can dance, act and sing. Bobby’s career, however, is in decline.
- Les Tytan: Les is a mesmerist whose clients have included Charles Henderson-Plumb and Mel Cutter.
- CJ Vasquez: One of Dazzled to Death’s co-producers.
- Zara Vicars: Zara is a rich and successful Hollywood producer, and co-producer of Dazzled to Death. Zara is also Tom Speed's widow.